from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An instrument that indicates distance traveled by a vehicle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An instrument attached to the wheel of a vehicle, to measure the distance traversed.
- n. A wheel used by surveyors, which registers distance traversed.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument attached to a vehicle or connected, as by a flexible cable, to the wheel of a vehicle, which measures the distance traversed.
- n. A hodometer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An instrument extensively used for measuring the distance passed over by any wheeled vehicle, and also in topographical surveying in regions traversed by roads.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a meter that shows mileage traversed
French odomètre, from Greek hodometron : hodos, journey + metron, measure; see -meter.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From hodometer, from Ancient Greek ὁδός (hodós, "road, path, way") + μέτρον (métron, "measure") (Wiktionary)