American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An instrument that gauges the approximate distance traveled on foot by registering the number of steps taken.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An instrument by which paces are numbered as a person walks, and the distance traveled is thus approximately recorded. Such instruments usually register by means of an index on a dial-plate, and are carried in the pocket like a watch, which they resemble in shape and size.
- n. A device, often electronic, that measures the number of steps taken, and thus estimates the distance walked.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Mech.) An instrument for including the number of steps in walking, and so ascertaining the distance passed over. It is usually in the form of watch; an oscillating weight by the motion of the body causes the index to advance a certain distance at each step.
- n. measuring instrument for recording the number of steps taken in walking
“The results suggest that the use of a pedometer is associated with significant increases in physical activity and significant decreases in body mass index and blood pressure.”
“Maybe a newfangled pedometer is called for — something like an electronic ankle bracelet (think Disturbia, if you must) that not only measures your steps but also gives a little electric shock when you spend too much time on the couch.”
“The thing about having a pedometer is that you have to set two variables on it in order to track you effectively; it needs to know your average pace, in inches, so it can tell you how far you walked, and it needs to know your weight in order to track the calories you've burned.”
“If you choose walking, consider purchasing a pedometer, which is an easy way of recording your daily steps taken.”
“Sandra Hassink, director of the pediatric weight-management clinic at the Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, Del., said the pedometer is a "kickoff tool" that could help a child get active, but it needs to connect to the child's life in an enjoyable way.”
“A pedometer is a clever gadget that automatically counts your steps for you — and now you can buy one for just $1 at your local dollar store.”
“Study authors say the pedometer is a useful tool for motivating and monitoring physical activity.”
“Most people think they walk farther each day than they do, and the pedometer is a fun way to find out how much you actually walk.”
“Sometimes an engineer carries what is called a pedometer in his pocket, which tells him how far he has walked.”
“A pedometer is a simple, inexpensive tool to make you realize how much you're moving.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘pedometer’.
denoting or relating to feet ; of or like a foot
Things that can be used to measure other things.
Things people are giving away on a bulletin board I frequent.
measuring; having a particular measure
Looking for tweets for pedometer.