from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An instrument that gauges the approximate distance traveled on foot by registering the number of steps taken.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A device, often electronic, that measures the number of steps taken, and thus estimates the distance walked.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument for including the number of steps in walking, and so ascertaining the distance passed over. It is usually in the form of a watch; an oscillating weight by the motion of the body causes the index to advance a certain distance at each step.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An instrument by which paces are numbered as a person walks, and the distance traveled is thus approximately recorded.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. measuring instrument for recording the number of steps taken in walking
Sorry, no etymologies found.