from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of seal.
- adj. Closed by a seal.
- adj. Preventing entrance.
- adj. Not subclassable; from which one cannot inherit.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Certified or authenticated by seal.
- Closed by sealing, or by clasping or fastening securely as with a seal; hence, inaccessible; unknown.
- In textiles, same as nail-headed, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. covered with a waterproof coating
- adj. having been paved
- adj. established irrevocably
- adj. determined irrevocably
- adj. undisclosed for the time being
- adj. closed or secured with or as if with a seal
- adj. (of walls) covered with a coat of plaster
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The editor acknowledges that the poem itself, from the unpruned luxuriance of the author's powers, "has remained a sealed volume" -- certainly it _ought_ to be a _sealed volume_ -- "to the fairest portion of the community."
Since Greensville was in a dry county -- Madison -- some of the men drove to Georgia and brought back what we called sealed liquor.
"I was engaged, sir, on what we call sealed orders, to sail this ship for that gentleman where he should bid me," said the captain.
They each place coins in sealed, hard plastic holders and assign numerical grades to submitted coins that qualify for numerical grades.
We have other things, and other problems, but the rasslin 'sealed the deal for me.
Additional monetary support spurred on by entreaties from Sarah and Todd Palin sealed the financial deal.
It's almost impossible to imagine it but the colossal cave-in sealed them off way back on Aug. 5.
Crucial Scriptures remain sealed to them and to everyone else who is not taught by God.
How long would we have to live in sealed bunkers after nuclear war? cute answer for the first one.
Resulting in sealed ghettos and closed cultures where people longed for the Old Country.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.