from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Impervious to or unaffected by water.
- adj. Made of or coated or treated with rubber, plastic, or a sealing agent to prevent penetration by water.
- n. A material or fabric that is impervious to water.
- n. Chiefly British A raincoat or other such outer garment.
- transitive v. To make impervious to water.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Unaffected by water.
- adj. Made of or covered with material that doesn't allow water in.
- v. To make waterproof or water-resistant.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Proof against penetration or permeation by water; impervious to water.
- n. A substance or preparation for rendering cloth, leather, etc., impervious to water.
- n. Cloth made waterproof, or any article made of such cloth, or of other waterproof material, as rubber; esp., an outer garment made of such material.
- transitive v. To render impervious to water, as cloth, leather, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Impervious to water, or nearly so
- n. Any material which repels water; especially, a light woolen cloth made for the purpose, and subjected to some waterproofing application.
- n. A garment of some material that repels water, made either of waterproof , or of mackintosh or a similar material made with india-rubber.
- To render impervious to water, as cloth, leather, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a water-resistant coat
- adj. not permitting the passage of water
- n. any fabric impervious to water
- v. make watertight
Water perification of some sort. knife matches in waterproof container. compass
Â This was also in waterproof ink, but using a finer point pen.
The jacket no longer has a main waterproof zipper.
Fabrics that are absolutely impermeable to water are called waterproof.
I was dressed for the weather, but even so my high hiking boots and shiny so-called waterproof had let in a miserable amount of weather on the walk from the Bodleian to the lodgings house.
On the bike, though, it proved solid - it survived a few laydowns and is completely waterproof, which is great news if you get caught in a downpour.
I loved that little stopwatch because it was waterproof, which is important when you spill food all over it, and it had a really big display that I could very easily read with just a quick glance.
The tents are about 10 feet by 10 feet and are waterproof, which is important as this is the beginning of the rainy season in Haiti.
"At the recall a waterproof skirt will be fitted to the window to avoid any damage," the spokesman added.
What's noteworthy is that the casing will be supposedly waterproof, which is great for those who aren't always careful with their handsets.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.