American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Made or consisting of wool.
- adj. Of or relating to the production or marketing of woolen goods.
- n. Fabric or clothing made from wool. Often used in the plural.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Made of wool; consisting of wool: as, woolen cloth.
- Of or pertaining to wool: as, woolen manufactures.
- Clad in the rough, homespun serges of former times, as opposed to the silk, velvet, and fine linen of the wealthier classes; hence, coarse; boorish; rustic; vulgar.
- n. Cloth made of wool, or chiefly of wool: an abbreviation of woolen cloth.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Made of wool; consisting of wool.
- adj. Of or pertaining to wool or woolen cloths
- n. Cloth made of wool; woollen goods.
- adj. of or related to or made of wool
- n. a fabric made from the hair of sheep
“Here he wore linen and sipped tepid water, longing for a night spent tucked up by the fire, wrapped in woolen blankets and sipping a proper cup of tea.”
“As if to acknowledge the significance of the lime catalyst, they call the woolen pouches in which they carry the sacred leaves kuétan yáha, not coca but lime bags.”
“In our own Kangra mission we started to produce teazel, which is that spiky plant used in woolen mills for "teazing" woolen cloth.”
“He cut the half-woven woolen from the loom and threw the mingled mass of cloth and yarn in a pile in a corner of the room.”
“Gee!" she giggled, "after going to bed every night over there muffled in woolen pajamas and blankets till I looked like Peary, a nightie like this feels positively indecent.”
“Adventurers "to carry on trade in English woolen cloth, or sent John”
“If the weather is not too cold, and if the animal is in a comfortable stable, the following method may be tried: Have a tub of hot water handy to the stable door; soak a woolen blanket in the water, then quickly wring as much water as possible out of it and wrap it around the chest.”
“I think that they have swiped some OTHER girl's box of chocolates, and are planning to eat all the chocolates themselves, then on refilling the box with something hilarious and embarrassing, such as woolen long underwear, thus provoking consternation and discord between the intended recipient and her chocolates-giving beau.”
“Bleaching powder cannot be used in bleaching animal fibers such as woolen and silk fabrics.”
“The night air blew in cold and moist, which made my bones ache, though they were not broken; and feeling very sleepy and miserable, I groped about until I Was rewarded by discovering a narrow bed, or cot of trellis-work, on which was a hard straw pallet and a small straw pillow; also, folded small, a kind of woolen sleeping garment.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘woolen’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
or Yet Another Thing I Learned from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
These are adjectives formed (in Old or Middle English) by adding the suffix -en to a noun representing (in all...
verb: to cause, to become
Just some words i like . . .
Words relating to the gentle art of making yarn.
For the suffix -en
Looking for tweets for woolen.