from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Able to sail close to the wind with little drift to leeward.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. (of a sailing vessel) able to sail close to the wind with little leeway
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Working, or able to sail, close to the wind.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Nautical, making very little leeway when close-hauled, even in a stiff breeze and heavy sea: noting a ship or boat.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of a sailing vessel) making very little leeway when close-hauled
weather (“direction from which the wind blows”) + -ly (“characteristic of”) (Wiktionary)