from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or practicing complete abstinence from alcoholic beverages.
- adj. Total; absolute.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Abstinent from alcohol, never drinking alcohol.
- adj. Opposed to the drinking of alcohol.
- adj. Total.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Entire; total.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Total; complete; entire: used emphatically.
- Of, pertaining to, or for the promotion of total abstinence from intoxicating liquors: as, a teetotal society, meeting, or pledge; the teetotal cause.
- Pledged to total abstinence from intoxicating liquors.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. practicing complete abstinence from alcoholic beverages
- v. practice teetotalism and abstain from the consumption of alcoholic beverages
Probably partly tee1 (pronunciation of the first letter in total) + total (abstinence), and partly reduplication of total.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
1830s, from total, the reduplicated tee being an intensifier – “T-total”. (Wiktionary)