American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To surpass (another) in an amount sold: a book that outsold all others of its kind.
- v. To outdo (another) in selling: a salesperson who outsold her colleagues.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To exceed in value or worth; excel.
- To exceed in amount of sales; sell better or more than.
- To sell for more than.
- v. To sell more than the others.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To exceed in amount of sales; to sell more than.
- v. To exceed in the price of selling; to fetch more than; to exceed in value.
- v. be sold more often than other, similar products
- v. sell more than others
“Will Obama, yes, we can cola in a bottle not a can despite the name outsell John McCain soda made with pure patriotic spirit.”
“I understand they're updated hourly and with sales of a single copy can jump up thousands of places ... only to subside gradually as other titles outsell it during any given hour.”
“As far as I know, fantasy in general still tends to outsell most other varieties of speculative fiction (there are exceptions, of course – individual sf writers who have sales many fantasy authors, including yours truly, can only dream of).”
“There can't be many writers in the genre who outsell Iain Banks, and although his work is often dark, the Culture represents a positive spin on technological development and its fusion with liberal social attitudes.”
“Soon a Chinese ink painting is going to outsell Picasso.”
“Someday soon a Chinese ink painting is going to outsell Picasso," said Joe Lin-Hill , an emerging-markets professor at Sotheby's Institute of Art, a graduate school run by an affiliate of the auction house.”
“How Jed, or anyone, can believe that this mess of a book will outsell the President's memoir is beyond me.”
“Wait untill the Balloon Boy's family comes out with their memoirs, I'm sure that one will far outsell Palin.”
“Now the MacBook Air is a solid player in Apple's laptop lineup its laptops outsell its desktops by about 3:1 - but it's going to be challenged in the market by "ultrabooks" which will make the MacBook Air look quite ordinary.”
“Therefore it is perhaps no surprise to learn that today in the Western world digital cameras outsell their 35mm counterparts.”
Looking for tweets for outsell.