from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of western California on Carmel Bay at the southern end of the Monterey Peninsula. It is an artists' and writers' colony and a popular tourist spot. Population: 4,000.
- MountCarmel A limestone ridge of northwest Israel extending about 24 km (15 mi) from the Plain of Esdraelon northwest to the Mediterranean Sea. It rises to approximately 546 m (1,790 ft).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A mountain range in Israel.
- proper n. A female given name from the Roman Catholic epithet of Virgin Mary at Mount Carmel.
- proper n. A city, valley and river located in Monterey County, California, United States.
- proper n. One name for the mission located in Monterey County, California.
- proper n. The native people of this Monterey region.
- proper n. The native language spoken in this Monterey region.
From Hebrew כַּרְמֶל (karmél), from כֶּרֶם (kérem, “vineyard of”) + אֵל (él, “God”). (Wiktionary)