from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A town of eastern Massachusetts, a residential suburb of Boston. Population: 41,100.
- A city of northern Texas midway between Dallas and Fort Worth. It is an important manufacturing center. Population: 367,000.
- A county and unincorporated city of northern Virginia across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C. Mainly residential, it is the site of Arlington National Cemetery, where American war dead and other notables, including William Howard Taft and John F. Kennedy, are buried. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier commemorates members of the Armed Forces killed in World War I, World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. Population: 200,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A place name.
- proper n. Arlington National Cemetery (in Arlington County, Virginia) an American military cemetery, which includes among other things the tomb of the unknown soldiers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a city in northern Texas between Dallas and Fort Worth
Sorry, no etymologies found.
ARLINGTON - John Koster is hosting a grand opening today for his Arlington campaign headquarters as he readies to challenge U.S. Rep. Rick Larsen, D-Wash., for his seat in Congress.
ARLINGTON, TX - APRIL 05: Catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia celebrates with is wife, Ashley Saltalamacchia, after hitting the game winning walkoff RBI against the Toronto Blue Jays on Opening Day at Rangers Ballpark on April 5, 2010 in Arlington, Texas.
ARLINGTON, TX - APRIL 05: Catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia #21 of the Texas Rangers celebrates a walkoff RBI against the Toronto Blue Jays in the bottom of the ninth inning on Opening Day at Rangers Ballpark on April 5, 2010 in Arlington, Texas.
ARLINGTON, TX - APRIL 05: Right fielder Nelson Cruz #17 of the Texas Rangers reacts to a post-game cream pie in his face after the Rangers beat the Toronto Blue Jays 5-4 on Opening Day at Rangers Ballpark on April 5, 2010 in Arlington, Texas.
ARLINGTON, MA-Officials from Bierbrier Development Inc., a developer and owner of urban shopping centers in Eastern Massachusetts, joined representatives from the town of Arlington, local business leaders and tenants to celebrate the grand opening of the
ARLINGTON - Arlington detectives are asking for the public's help to identify the person responsible for shooting at a house on Saturday.
ARLINGTON - For the third time in six years, Arlington resident GlenNita Stagner stood in her house as it filled with more than 3 feet of water.
ARLINGTON - Jefferson's boys hardwood unit started out steaming hot and continued on a warm trend Saturday night at the Devil's Den in Arlington.
ARLINGTON - The presence of Arlington police at an after-hours club has led the owner to question if the police have gone too far.
ARLINGTON - A woman who went missing from a cruise ship in Alaska was from Arlington, officials said.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.