from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Sports Of, relating to, or being a member of the first string of a team.
- adj. First-rate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. describing the members of a sports team who play regularly at the start of a match (rather than being substituted on)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. First to play in a game; not reserved as a substitute; -- of members of a team. Also used in non-sports contexts to mean first-rate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. being a regular member of a team
- adj. of members of a team; not substitutes
Sorry, no etymologies found.