from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Sports Of, relating to, or being a member of the first string of a team.
- adj. First-rate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. describing the members of a sports team who play regularly at the start of a match (rather than being substituted on)
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. First to play in a game; not reserved as a substitute; -- of members of a team. Also used in non-sports contexts to mean first-rate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. being a regular member of a team
- adj. of members of a team; not substitutes
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The first-string couldn't get in the end zone in the last two intrasquad scrimmages against the defense.
As a former first-string critic and current Drama Desk member, the protocol breach represents an important opportunity to review how utterly outmoded the protocol really is.
That is first-string, varsity material on Team Tea Party right there.
While female gender doesn't necessarily guarantee insight into women's lives, powerful first-string male critics regularly demonstrate a distressing lack of interest in plays in which women writers craft female protagonists.
But it is remarkable just how quickly a meme begun by one of the “first-string” leftist sites gets spread throughout the lower levels of the food chain.
The event has always attracted first-string investors, media and other tech insiders.
This is due mainly to the team starting 3-0 even without its first-string quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger.
Kevin will start the spring as first-string quarterback, and while I've seen marked improvement in him, I want to see more.
The event has always attracted first-string investors, media and other ...
This will largely look like a remade team with a new first-string quarterback after Riley Skinner's four-year hold on that role.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.