from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. Without having to pay: got away from the restaurant scot-free.
- adv. Without incurring any penalty or punishment: came away from the incident scot-free.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adv. Free of scot, free of tax.
- adv. Without consequences or penalties.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Free from payment of scot; untaxed; hence, unhurt; clear; safe.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Free from payment of scot; untaxed.
- Unhurt; clear; safe. In this sense also shotfree, with the intention of a pun.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. free from harm or penalty
From Old English scotfreo ("exempt from royal tax"), See scot + free (Wiktionary)