American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adv. By a small amount at a time; in stages: articles acquired piecemeal.
- adv. In pieces; apart.
- adj. Accomplished or made in stages.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- By pieces; bit by bit; little by little; gradually: often pleonastically by piecemeal.
- In pieces; in or into bits or fragments.
- Fragmentary; disconnected.
- adj. Made or done in pieces or one stage at a time.
- adv. Piece by piece; in small amounts, stages, or degrees.
- adv. Into pieces or parts.
- v. transitive To divide or distribute piecemeal; dismember.
- n. A fragment; a scrap.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adv. In pieces; in parts or fragments.
- adv. Piece by piece; by little and little in succession.
- adj. Made up of parts or pieces; single; separate.
- n. A fragment; a scrap.
- adv. a little bit at a time
- adj. one thing at a time
- From Middle English pecemele, from pece ("piece") + mele (from Old English mǣlum ("at a time"), dative plural form of mǣl ("time, measure")), taking the place of Old English styċċemǣlum ("in pieces, bit by bit, piecemeal; to pieces, to bits; here and there, in different places; little by little, by degrees, gradually"); equivalent to piece + -meal. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English pecemeale : pece, piece; see piece + -mele, by a fixed measure (from Old English -mǣlum, at a time, from dative pl. of mǣl, appointed time; see mē-2 in Indo-European roots). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“GH: In your new book Makeshift Metropolis, you state that architects should resist the urge to plan grand utopias and should instead embrace smaller interventions that fit more naturally into what you call piecemeal urbanism.”
“St Ewold's isn't the best house in the world," said the major, "because it is old, and what I call piecemeal; but it is very pretty, and certainly nice.”
“Other signature promises may be addressed in piecemeal fashion in the opening weeks of the Obama administration but then put on a long track toward more comprehensive resolutions.”
“Solutions attempted in piecemeal fashion, as we've seen thus far, would amount to constantly putting out recurring fires.”
“This counter-initiative should also aim to influence electoral politics because Democrats, who are dependent on corporate coffers, have only been able to win piecemeal social justice victories.”
“Also being read in piecemeal fashion is The Comics Journal 6: The Writers (edited by the erstwhile Tom Spurgeon), for which a more accurate title might have been "Gary Groth Browbeats Bewildered Comics Writers.”
“The distinctions and relationships between Pashtun tribal and ethnic identities, and between Pashtun tribalism and ethnicity, generally have been treated in piecemeal fashion and are yet to be fully dissected and analyzed.”
“Unlike rail projects, bus improvements can be feasibly undertaken in piecemeal ways rather than in quantum leaps.”
“To come across poems piecemeal is temporarily satisfying, but to hold an entire book is a relationship commitment.”
“At least, with a bevy of smaller authorities, controlled by Liberals bent on social engineering rather than efficiency, we can attempt to effect things locally, and we have the chance to reform their efficacy in piecemeal - precisely because their power remains distributed rather than concentrated.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘piecemeal’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
words that follow this pattern: Pay attention to the projective aspects of these words!
Started on pommelion--a place for all those words that feature P, then M, then L inside them. Somewhere.
Words that have been smashed together.
Words that I like.
Many may be lexicographically impotent due to a lack of citations and definition. Hopefully I'll be able to rectify this eventually.
You know who you are, freakish compounds. Though very useful, some of these words just don't seem right together--or, their meanings are so far from what the two (or more) component words suggest t...
Words as I learn them.
Looking for tweets for piecemeal.