from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A foot or footlike part, especially the foot of a four-footed vertebrate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the foot of a human
- n. the hoof of a quadruped
- n. clubfoot or talipes
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The distal segment of the hind limb of vertebrates, including the tarsus and foot.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A Middle English form of peace.
- n. A Middle English form of piece.
- n. In anatomy and zoology:
- n. The foot; the third and distal segment of the hind limb of a vertebrate, consisting of the tarsus, metatarsus, and phalanges: the correlative of manus of the fore limb.
- n. A foot-like part or organ; a peduncle, or base of support.
- n. In music: Same as ground bass (which see, under bass).
- n. Same as podatus.
- n. In prosody, either of the two quatrains which form the first part of a sonnet.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the part of the leg of a human being below the ankle joint
Latin pēs; see ped- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)