from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To state explicitly or in detail: specified the amount needed.
- transitive v. To include in a specification.
- transitive v. To state as a condition: specified that they be included in the will.
- transitive v. To determine or bring about (a specific result): a gene that specifies the synthesis of a single protein.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To state explicitly, or in detail, or as a condition.
- v. To include in a specification.
- v. To bring about a specific result.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To mention or name, as a particular thing; to designate in words so as to distinguish from other things.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To mention specifically or explicitly; state exactly or in detail; name distinctly: as, to specify the persons concerned in a given act; to specify one's wants, or articles required.
- To name as a requisite, as in technical specifications; set down in a specification.
- To make specific; give a specific character to; distinguish as of a species or kind.
- Synonyms To indicate, particularize, individualize.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. decide upon or fix definitely
- v. select something or someone for a specific purpose
- v. design or destine
- v. be specific about
- v. specify as a condition or requirement in a contract or agreement; make an express demand or provision in an agreement
- v. determine the essential quality of
- v. define clearly
Does the label specify which type of shampoo and conditioner I should use?
Most definitions of the term specify that automobiles are designed to run primarily on roads, to have seating for one to eight people, to typically have four wheels, and to be constructed principally for the transport of people rather than goods.
One simply has to envision that the agent who caused the universe was able to specify from the start not only laws but much more. page 231, EoE
Her labels specify when the item should be used by.
What Penrose alludes to a lot but doesn't specify is us.
If their refusal to specify is specious (ah, the glory of alliteration!), then I think we're entitled to infer that they are hiding something.
The terms specify that she must repay the bonus in full if she leaves within two years or repay half of it if she leaves after that but within four years.
Product labels specify the species, age requirements and weight range of the animal to which the treatment should be applied.
To this day, the Gershwin's terms specify that English-speaking countries may only produce Porgy and Bess with all-black casts so the singers and actors can bring the characters to life with passion and inspiration.
However, the researchers found that the product labels specify a minimum rate of application and a minimum treatment time but don't mention the maximum amount for safe use.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.