from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A guide; an escort.
- n. One that goes in advance; a forerunner.
- n. A mounted attendant who rides in front of or beside a carriage.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A guide or escort, especially one who rides in advance
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A summoner whose office is to cite men before the sheriff.
- n. One who rides out on horseback, beyond the main group, e. g., as a scout.
- n. A servant on horseback attending a carriage.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who rides out or forth.
- n. A person on horseback, especially a servant, who precedes or accompanies a carriage.
- n. One who is in the habit of riding out for pleasure.
- n. A highwayman.
- n. A commercial traveler.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an escort who rides ahead (as a member of the vanguard)
Middle English outridere (Wiktionary)