from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One of lesser rank or authority than another; a subordinate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A subordinate, or person of lesser rank or authority.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An inferior person or agent; a subordinate; a low-ranking employee.
- n. A mean, sorry fellow.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who is subordinate to another, especially in some mean or servile capacity; hence, a mean, sorry fellow.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an assistant subject to the authority or control of another
under + -ling (Wiktionary)