from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Simple past tense and past participle of couple.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. joined together especially in a pair or pairs.
- adj. connected by a physical link, as railway cars or trailer trucks. Opposite of
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- United, as two things; joined; linked; specifically, in heraldry, same as conjoined.
- a pair of windows placed side by side, and so united as to form an architectural whole: a disposition usual in medieval architecture of widely different periods.
- As applied to quadrupeds, and particularly to horses, noting the distance between the shoulders and the hip-joint: as, well coupled, short coupled.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. connected by a link, as railway cars or trailer trucks
- adj. joined together especially in a pair or pairs
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Miss Bart felt an inward motion of annoyance: it was distasteful enough to hear her name coupled with Trenor’s, and on Rosedale’s lips the allusion was peculiarly unpleasant.
In the New World, Spain coupled religious orthodoxy with political conquest.
Among the findings were that mothers in coupled relationships provided almost twice the hours per day involved in child care (11.1 hours) as did fathers in coupled relationships, (6.29 hours) while single mothers provided 9.5 hours a day in child care.
No, what makes it so is my proving it over and over again coupled with the inability of people like you to keep up.
I suppose that they only prayer we have is that the infighting between Obama-nuts and Hillary-ites coupled with the GOPs own aversion to McCain coupled with whatever nincompoop he chooses as his VP will lead to the first time a third party can win the White House.
The relocation of several national government agencies to Saitama Shintoshin coupled with the concentration of advanced business, commercial and cultural functions will enable this new urban center to take on some of the responsibilities of the nation's capital and lead the way in the reorganization of the greater Tokyo metropolitan area-Saitama Shintoshin
For instance, there's the issue of certain movies not being presented in English, coupled with the issue that my comprehension of Spanish is terrible despite my many years studying the language in middle school, high school and college.
Second, odorant receptors would be at least distantly related to the relatively small set of G protein coupled receptors whose sequences were known at that time.
Anaheim's win coupled with Boston's 8-6 loss moved the Angels within 3 1/2 games of the Red Sox in the American League wild card race.
"And to have my name coupled with that of the great navy in which it has been my privilege to serve so long is an additional honour for which to thank you."
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.