from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The guiding of a horse through a series of complex maneuvers by slight movements of the rider's hands, legs, and weight.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the schooling of a horse
- n. an equestrian sport in which the horse and rider perform a test of specific movements in an arena, and are judged on the horse's obedience, acceptance of the bridle and of the rider's aids, gaits, impulsion, and the harmony between horse and rider
- n. an event or competition of the sport of dressage
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. maneuvers of a horse in response to body signals by the rider.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. maneuvers of a horse in response to body signals by the rider
French, preparation, training, dressage, from dresser, to set up, arrange, train, from Old French drecier, to set up, arrange; see dress.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowing from French dressage ("training"). (Wiktionary)