from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act or practice of constructing vaults.
- n. The method of construction of a vault.
- n. A vault or vaulted structure.
- n. Such structures considered as a group.
- adj. Leaping upward or over.
- adj. Reaching too far; exaggerated: his vaulting ambition.
- adj. Employed in leaping over: a vaulting pole.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The practice of constructing vaults, or a particular method of such construction.
- n. A vaulted structure; such structures treated as a group.
- n. The sport of gymnastics and dance routines performed on horseback, and on the longe line.
- v. Present participle of vault.
- adj. Leaning upward or over
- adj. Exaggerated or overreaching
- adj. performing
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of constructing vaults; a vaulted construction.
- n. Act of one who vaults or leaps.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In architecture, vaulted work; vaults collectively.
- n. The art or practice of a vaulter.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a light leap by a horse in which both hind legs leave the ground before the forelegs come down
- adj. revealing excessive self-confidence; reaching for the heights
- n. (architecture) a vaulted structure
Sorry, no etymologies found.