Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The artificial production of germination in grain for the purpose of converting its starch into the greatest possible amount of sugar, as a preparation for brewing, or the conversion by fermentation of this sugar into alcohol.
- n. A place where malting is carried on.
- n. The process of turning grain into malt.
- n. The premises where grain is malted.
- v. present participle of malt.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The process of making, or of becoming malt.
“The Canadian Wheat Board says it has signed its largest long-term malting barley sales agreement with China.”
“The changes/dilution in origin of character for grain comes in two areas (as far as I can tell): the malting is a biological process that changes the chemical and enzymatic qualities of the grain; and the brewing process which adds water and other ingredients (including heat).”
“This technique, called malting, is the one most widely used today to make beer.”
“This process (usually called malting) became the first step in making beer and liquor out of starchy foods such as potatoes, maize, rice, or sorghum.”
“The sprouting process, known as malting, releases amylase enzymes that break starches down into more digestible forms including sugars.”
“The same phenomenon is observed in the process of malting, which is in fact the artificial germination of barley, the malt produced always weighing considerably less than the grain from which it was obtained.”
“This steeping and halting process is called "malting" and barley that has been steeped and dried is called malted barley.”
“It has done quite well and is going for malting, which is pleasing.”
“The terminology used by brewers to describe varying levels of roasting intensity in the malting process tends to sound like words describing sweets: There are malt levels that are bisquity, toasty, caramelly, toffee-like and even chocolaty, Mr. Daniels said.”
“Miller also trained slave Peter Hemings in the craft of malting and brewing.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘malting’.
Words about beer and the making of it.
Alcohol-related words that tickle the ear & the fancy
Looking for tweets for malting.