from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Eager or ambitious to equal or surpass another.
- adj. Characterized or prompted by a spirit of rivalry.
- adj. Obsolete Covetous of power or honor; envious.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. ambitious or competitive.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Ambitiously desirous to equal or even to excel another; eager to emulate or vie with another; desirous of like excellence with another; -- with of.
- adj. Vying with; rivaling; hence, contentious, envious.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Desirous of equaling or excelling, as what one admires; inclined to imitative rivalry: with of before an object: as, emulous of another's example or virtues.
- Rivaling; competitive.
- Envious; jealous; contentiously eager.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. eager to surpass others
- adj. characterized by or arising from emulation or imitation
From Latin aemulus.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin aemulus ("striving to equal or excel, rivaling; in a bad sense, envious, jealous"), from Ancient Greek ἁμιλλάομαι (amillaomai, "strive, contend"), akin to imitari ("to imitate"); see imitate. (Wiktionary)