from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One of the wedge-shaped stones forming the curved parts of an arch or vaulted ceiling.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One of a series of wedge-shaped bricks forming an arch or vault.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the wedgelike stones of which an arch is composed.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In architecture, a stone in the shape of a truncated wedge, which forms part of an arch.
- To form with voussoirs; construct by means of voussoirs.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. wedge-shaped stone building block used in constructing an arch or vault
French, from Old French vossoir, from Vulgar Latin *volsōrium, from *volsus, past participle of Latin volvere, to turn, roll.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)