American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Something that exists as a particular and discrete unit: Persons and corporations are equivalent entities under the law.
- n. The fact of existence; being.
- n. The existence of something considered apart from its properties.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Being: in this, its original sense, the abstract noun corresponding to the concrete ens.
- n. An independent ens; a thing; a substance; an ontological chimera. As a concrete noun, it is chiefly used to express the current notion of the mode of being attributed by scholastic metaphysicians to general natures and to formalities. Modern writers have generally said the schoolmen made entities of words, a judgment which seems to espouse the nominalistic side of the great dispute, although the writers who use this phrase are not decided nominalists. Such being the connection which by its associations gives the word entity its meaning, the latter is necessarily vague.
- n. An individual fact or conception, having in itself all that is needed to constitute a characteristic whole.
- n. That which has a distinct existence as an individual unit. Often used for organisations which have no physical form.
- n. An existent something that has the properties of being real, and having a real existence.
- n. computing Anything about which information or data can be stored in a database; in particular, an organized array or set of individual elements or parts.
- n. The state or quality of being or existence.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A real being, whether in thought (as an ideal conception) or in fact; being; essence; existence.
- n. that which is perceived or known or inferred to have its own distinct existence (living or nonliving)
- From Medieval Latin entitas, from Latin, present participle of esse, "to be". (Wiktionary)
- Medieval Latin entitās, from Latin ēns, ent-, present participle of esse, to be; see es- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“If a document is not recorded, the title entity should reference any identifiable information on the document.”
“The title entity must get written authorization from the owner of that money before depositing it into the account.”
“Received random mass email from mysterious personage entitled "Edward Champion" which we almost deleted but then it turns out this entity is also affiliated with "The Bat Segundo Show," a podcast series of interviews with, like, almost every interesting author in the universe.”
“A title entity is also prohibited from using the funds for any purpose other than what is set forth in writing for a specific transaction.”
“A title entity may earn interest on fiduciary funds as long as a disclosure is provided to all parties that interest has been or will be earned.”
“A title entity may not give money or any other thing of value to a real estate broker or other settlement producer in exchange for an advertising benefit at an event.”
“A title entity may deposit fiduciary funds (money belonging to others) into a sweep account or any type of account that uses that money as an investment or revenue generator.”
“A title entity is prohibited from mixing these funds with any others.”
“A title entity may teach classes on any subject they feel qualified to teach.”
“What Government entity is responsible for your personal protection!!??!!”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘entity’.
Budgetese - not a sexy topic but a very comprehensive list of words and collocations used in EU circles. Budgeting experts please comment and expand.
heading, across-the-board ..., emergency reserve, frontload, mopping-up, performance reserve, positive margin, negative margin, public finances, structural operat..., administrative ex..., management of EU ... and 657 more...
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
additionality, audit trail, accounting standards, auditing standards, general audit obj..., a posteriori audit, a priori audit, above board, acceptable error ..., access rights, accountability, accountable entities and 1283 more...
Use these and get promoted
broker a peace ac..., client state, deadlocked peace ..., embassy, freeze, goodwill ambassador, hinterland, interfere in dome..., intervene personally, maintain technica..., mediation, no business as usual and 670 more...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
This is Ghost List 2 ( the kind that go 'boo!' ) :P
( open list )
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
1. Strictly EU terms with special European meaning used only in the EU
2. Keywords central to the understanding of the EU (people working for the EU are usually able to give thematic...
species, sex, age bracket, occupation, hobby .. etc.
verbs Adj Adv noun
Very basic words for ESL students.
Looking for tweets for entity.