Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That which in any sense is; an object; something that can be named and spoken of.
- n. The same as first ens (which see, below).
- An abbreviation of ensign.
- n. obsolete, metaphysics Entity, being, or existence; an actually existing being.
- n. obsolete, chemistry Something supposed to condense within itself all the virtues and qualities of a substance from which it is extracted; essence.
- n. Plural form of en.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Metaph.) Entity, being, or existence; an actually existing being; also, God, as the Being of Beings.
- n. (Chem.), obsolete Something supposed to condense within itself all the virtues and qualities of a substance from which it is extracted; essence.
- Latin, ens ("thing"), entis ("thing"). See entity. (Wiktionary)
“Nevertheless, evolution within H. sapiens is not necessarily an issue for the creationist biologist.”
“Detecting and removing and chicken with a barked skin is important because damaged skin shortens the shelf life and dries out and toughens the meat.”
“The expression ens rationis may be equivocal, but it expresses somewhat exaggeratedly the very active part played by the human intellect in the construction of space.”
“Sin shortens lifespans because it is an offense against God, the wages of sin being death.”
“Tintin shortens Hoft's breathless report to: "I'll believe absolutely anything.”
“Rain shortens NASCAR Nationwide Series practice at Lowe's Motor Speedway”
“He!) of calling things into existence, extend thy thought and consider the various kinds of created things, and thou wilt find signs and instances, proving the perfection of His puissance and that He is able to create the ens from the non-ens; nay, He called things into being, after absolute non-existence, for the elements which be the matter of created things were sheer nothingness.”
“Being in that latter sense is what the scholastics called ens commune.”
“Aquinas gives a theological application to the latter, "ens" pertaining to essence, and the others to the Persons of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit respectively.”
“Du är väl inte ens medveten om att jag just kallade dig en fårskalle?”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ens’.
words that make me warm inside
Looking for tweets for ens.