American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- An Egyptian dynasty of Macedonian kings (323-30 B.C.). The Ptolemies included Ptolemy I (367?-283?), a general in Alexander the Great's army who succeeded him as ruler of Egypt (323-285), and Ptolemy XV (47-30), who ruled as coregent (44-30) with his mother, Cleopatra.
- Ptolemy 2 fl. second century A.D. Alexandrian astronomer, mathematician, and geographer who based his astronomy on the belief that all heavenly bodies revolve around the earth.
- n. Alexandrian astronomer (of the 2nd century) who proposed a geocentric system of astronomy that was undisputed until the late Renaissance
- n. an ancient dynasty of Macedonian kings who ruled Egypt from 323 BC to 30 BC; founded by Ptolemy I and ended with Cleopatra
- From Ancient Greek Πτολεμαῖος (Ptolemaios) (Wiktionary)
“We first find it in Ptolemy (vii. 2) whose Maniólai Islands, of India extra Gangem, cause iron nails to fly out of ships, the effect of the Lapis”
“I know that technically the conception of Earth as lying at the center of the universe, as proposed by the Egyptian astronomer Ptolemy, is at odds with the established facts.”
“For instance, he calls Ptolemy _Fortunae pudor crimenque deorum_;  he arraigns the gods as caring more for vengeance than liberty;  he calls Septimius a disgrace to the gods,  the death of”
“(Then again Piers also told somebody called Ptolemy that he had a silly name, so maybe it was tongue in cheek.)”
“While this family ruled Egypt, its kings all took the name Ptolemy, but each of its queens took the name Cleopatra.”
“Another was a Roman geographer called Ptolemy who wrote a description of Britain, listing the names of the many British tribes.”
“His younger brother-whom the Alexandrians have decided to call Ptolemy the Cyprian-was sent to be regent of Cyprus.”
“In Egypt the aged Ptolemy had abdicated in 285 in favour of his son by Berenice afterwards known as Ptolemy Philadelphus, and to the exclusion of his eldest son, Ptolemy Ceraunus, by his wife”
“These last have the same situation in Ptolemy, which is now given to the kingdom of”
“Cleopatra VII was descended from the first Ptolemy, titled Ptolemy I Soter, a satrap of Alexander the Great who had been granted the rule of Egypt by Alexander on his deathbed.”
‘Ptolemy’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Ptolemy.