from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The character, office, or vocation of a priest.
- n. The clergy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The role or office of a priest
- n. Priests as a group; the clergy
- n. Authority to act in the name of God.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The office or character of a priest; the priestly function.
- n. Priests, taken collectively; the order of men set apart for sacred offices; the order of priests.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The office or character of a priest.
- n. The order of men set apart for sacred offices; priests collectively.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the body of ordained religious practitioners
A must-read paper produced by Human Life International Research Director Brian Clowes has closed the book on the question of whether homosexuality in the priesthood is a root cause of the clerical sexual abuse crisis.
But this our high priest continues for ever, and his priesthood is aparabaton -- an unchangeable one, that does not pass from one to another, as the former did; it is always in the same hand.
The priesthood is a unique vocation, and it is unlike any career or profession.
The priesthood is like education, coaching, and daycare in that it has factors which draw sexual perpetrators into it – access, trust, and autonomy.
One thing is certain: the expression of priesthood will change by default if not by design.
Infidel753, the priesthood is now a closed shop ...
In fact, the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches believe, as a matter of doctrine, that the priesthood is more than a function.
•April 23: Summons U.S. cardinals to discuss sex abuse scandal, tells them there no place in priesthood for clerics who abuse young.
God thus solemnly states the end for which the priesthood is restored to the people, His own glory in their obedience and pure worship, and their consequent promotion to heavenly honor.
The priesthood is similarly combined with His kingly office in Zec 6: 13.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.