Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which stumps, in any sense.
- n. In cricket: A fielder who stumps a batsman out, that is, one who, with ball in hand, puts down the wicket, if the striker, failing to hit the ball, is out of his ground.
- n. A wicket-keeper.
- n. One who stumps, or speaks, or orates, as a politician.
- n. A difficult puzzle or problem.
- n. archaic, slang A boastful person.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who stumps.
- n. Slang A boastful person.
- n. Slang, U.S. A puzzling or incredible story.
- n. a particularly difficult or baffling question or problem
“He's got every bit as much raw brain power as Bill Clinton, and, I would argue, more skill as a speaker and "stumper" than Bill had as a candidate.”
“That was a "stumper" for the poor woman, who evidently did not understand one-half of the sentence.”
“That was a 'stumper' for the poor woman, who evidently did not understand one half of the sentence.”
“During a House Energy & Commerce Committee hearing, Barton smugly posed a "stumper" to Energy Secretary Steve Chu:”
“Disguise is paramount, and, as yet, the England batsmen, while negating Kumar to some extent by standing down the pitch a more competent stumper than MS Dhoni would stop that soon enough, appear not yet to have broken the code of which way he is going to move the ball.”
“Heinz has made a habit of posing playful questions on its ketchup bottles “Are your french fries lonely?” and the next one may be a stumper: “Guess what my bottle is made of?””
“Wow that is a stumper. i figured you had a picture of a "frankenstein" malard that had cross bred with a domestic duck but it definately is not that.”
“I wonder how much, in 40 or 50 years' time, someone will fork out for Matt Prior's Porsche, the one of which the current England stumper spoke to Sachin Tendulkar at Trent Bridge four summers ago?”
“At the convention, another McCain/Palin stumper, Republican Senator Arlen Specter, had this to say about his good friend:”
“Everyone who asked it seemed to think this was a great stumper, you know, like what they were really saying was, blogs maybe the sexy new thing but you're all LIES, I tell you, LIES!”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘stumper’.
Words without which cricket could not be.
conundrums, posers, and baffling situations
Looking for tweets for stumper.