from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small one-man diesel-powered vehicle often used to carry loads and material around, often on building sites.
- n. A dropper of rubbish, particularly not in landfill sites/recycling sites.
- n. One who would drop their boyfriend or girlfriend, the person in the couple who has finished the relationship.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. same as dump truck.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which dumps; specifically, atip-cart.
- n. In railroading, any form of tilting-, dumping-, or unloading-car, whether operated by hand or by power.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. truck whose contents can be emptied without handling; the front end of the platform can be pneumatically raised so that the load is discharged by gravity
Sorry, no etymologies found.
"Oh my God, you've been dumped," she said, confirming what I already knew: I had indeed been dumped but not by a long-term partner or spouse; the dumper was a friend, or to put it more accurately, a former friend.
You are ucky to be living in this place, during this time and if you don't have any boils on your dumper, that is just icing on the cake.
The 'dumper' has usually procastrinated for some time and knows exactly why they have decided that the 'dumpee' is history.
We were not thrilled to see the "dumper" is coming back and are not looking forward to seeing Jason cry like on the previews!
Only 31, he was already a star, having helped pull NBC local news out of the ratings dumper.
The only thing that really puzzled me was the first sentence (Now that fur is back in vogue, I've been thinking about splurging on a coat this winter): If fur is back in vogue, then why are pelt prices in the dumper right now?
My current favourites are WotWentWrong, which allows dumpees to hassle their dumpers for answers via a third party the dumper provides their reasons for not calling them back, and the site sends the dumpee advice on how to do better next time, and NeverLikedItAnyway, a sort of eBay for the stuff that remains after a relationship dies, a ranty marketplace of engagement rings and I Wuv You teddies.
Speculation is running high that one song in particular, "Dear John," is about John Mayer -- 33-year-old singer, ex-Twitter addict, Jennifer Aniston/Jessica Simpson dumper, sometime Swift collaborator and rumored erstwhile boyfriend of the now 20-year-old.
It would be truly bizarre if you could compel me to enforce my property rights against a dumper.
It would be equally bizarre if the state took action to prevent you from asserting your property right because the dumper was rich and powerful.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.