American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The condition of being tangent.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being tangent; a contact or touching. Also called taction.
- n. The state of being tangent; an instance of (something) being tangent.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The quality or state of being tangent; a contact or touching.
- n. (electronics) a junction where things (as two electrical conductors) touch or are in physical contact
- n. the state of being tangent; having contact at a single point or along a line without crossing
“A tangency is a point of contact between one shape and another so that they just touch without overlapping.”
“Musset, but with "tangency" on both, will be discussed in the text.”
“Charlie mentions a circle-circle tangency joke not working, right before a James Bond reference (007 — circle, circle, tangent).”
“Scientists had calculated that the bomber would achieve optimum distance from the blast with 155 degrees of tangency.”
“A tangency can also happen when a shape touches the frame of the composition.”
“The preferred alternative is the one that yields the greatest utility, which occurs (for continuous decision variables as shown here) at the point of tangency D of the best equi-preference curve, with the trade off curve.”
“She sipped her coffee languorously as she spoke, relaxing into eccentric tangency now that the main order of business had been concluded.”
“Approaching tangency with a particular orbit, Flinx took a moment to belch once while admiring a great swath of glowing gold splashed across the sky.”
“Rod considered wriggling around behind the gate, knowing that the tangency was one-sided and that he would be able to see through the locus from the other side, see anyone who came out without himself being seen.”
“While in his social relations the young man is seeking points of tangency with those in his own plane, in his religious experience he seeks to come into relation with his God; that is, with the power that exists in the plane above his own.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘tangency’.
Looking for tweets for tangency.