from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Motivated by or exhibiting devotion to the public welfare.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having personal motivation toward the betterment of the public.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having, or exercising, a disposition to advance the interest of the community or public.
- adj. Dictated by a regard to public good.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having or exercising a disposition to promote the interest or advantage of the community; disposed to make private sacrifices for the public good: as, a public-spirited citizen.
- Dictated by or based on regard for the public good: as, a public-spirited measure.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. showing unselfish interest in the public welfare
Sorry, no etymologies found.