from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Completely awake.
- adj. Alert; watchful.
- n. See sooty tern.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. completely or fully awake
- adj. alert, vigilant or watchful
- n. The sooty tern
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Fully awake; not drowsy or dull; hence, knowing; keen; alert.
- n. A broad-brimmed, low-crowned felt hat.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The sooty tern, Sterna fuliginosa, a tropical and subtropical species, named from its cry.
- On the alert; keen; sharp; knowing.
- n. A soft felt hat: a name given about 1850.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. fully alert and watchful
- adj. fully awake
Sorry, no etymologies found.