from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A country of southeast Central America. The region was inhabited by a variety of Indian peoples when Columbus landed on its Caribbean coast in 1502. In 1513 Balboa crossed the isthmus to discover the Pacific Ocean. Controlled by Spain until 1821, the area then became part of Colombia. Eager for a canal across the isthmus, the United States supported a revolution leading to Panamanian independence in 1903. Panama is the capital. Population: 3,240,000.
- The capital and largest city of Panama, in the central part of the country on the Gulf of Panama. The original city was founded in 1519, destroyed in 1671, and rebuilt a short distance away in 1673. Population: 408,000.
- Gulf ofPanama A wide inlet of the Pacific Ocean on the southern coast of Panama.
- Isthmus of Formerly Isthmus of Da·ri·én (dârˌē-ĕnˈ, där-yĕnˈ)Panama An isthmus of Central America connecting North and South America and separating the Pacific Ocean from the Caribbean Sea.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A country in Central America. Official name: Republic of Panama.
- n. A Panama hat.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. On the Isthmus of Panama, a handsome tree, Sterculia Carthaginensis, with large 5-lobed leaves, bearing 3-celled capsules covered with fine brittle hairs and containing a number of oblong oily edible seeds.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a stiff hat made of straw with a flat crown
- n. a republic on the Isthmus of Panama; achieved independence from Colombia in 1903
Sorry, no etymologies found.
PANAMA - Suicide squeeze bunts by Kyle Schrantz and Cody Patterson broke a 2-2 deadlock in the sixth inning as Brocton (2-0, 2-0) edged Panama (0-1, 1-2), 4-2, in Division 3 baseball.
August 14th, 2009 PANAMA - At least 22 people were killed and 18 injured when a passenger bus and a truck collided head on in eastern Panama, media reports said.
PANAMA (AFP) - Panama Thursday marked the 10th anniversary of the end of US control over the legendary canal linking the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, long considered one of the world's engineering wonders.
That previous sentence should say: We like chifles.) "how far is it from david, panama to boquete, panama? to Boquete from David, Panama, give or take 20 minutes.
Bordering on the east with the Darien National Park, in Panama, is the Los Katios National Park, covering an area of 720 km2.
ChargeBackBureua's headquarters are conveniently located in Panama, which is convenient for its American clients, as such databases are illegal in the US.
As far as the "Plan Puebla-Panama" is concerned; I did not bring it up and have no idea what it is but I´ll bet you the shirt off my back that it does not amount to a hill of beans and will never come to fruition.
According to reports in Panama, the teenagers spotted the creature crawling out of a cave while playing in the town of Cerro Azul north of Panama City.
One thing on the side ... when we were stationed in Panama, I got this crazy idea to go to the hospital/clinic and copy all my husband's military health records.
Panama is the most southerly Central American nation, located between Costa Rica to the north and Columbia to the south.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.