from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A hat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A hat
- n. The mass of grape solids that floats on the surface during the fermentation of wine
- n. In international law, introductory text appearing in a treaty that broadly defines its principles, objectives, and background.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A hat or covering for the head.
- n. A cap of maintenance. See Maintenance.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A hat: used in English to denote a plumed hat forming part of an official costume or uniform.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. headdress that protects the head from bad weather; has shaped crown and usually a brim
French, from Old French chapel, from Vulgar Latin cappellus, diminutive of Late Latin cappa, hooded cloak.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)