from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Generating, yielding, or transmitting light.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Producing, or transmitting light; luminous.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Producing light; yielding light; transmitting light.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In physics, producing or bearing light; yielding light: as, the luminiferous ether. See ether, 2.
- Serving as a medium for conveying light.
Latin lūmen, lūmin-, light; see lumen + -ferous.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)