from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic genus within the family Araceae — found in central Europe and the Mediterranean, such as the cuckoopint, having arrow-shaped leaves.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of plants found in central Europe and about the Mediterranean, having flowers on a spadix inclosed in a spathe. The cuckoopint of the English is an example.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of plants, natural order Araceæ, natives of Europe and of regions bordering on the Mediterranean.
- n. [lowercase] A name given in the United States to plants belonging to the order Araceæ, but not to the genus Arum (although some of them were formerly so classed), as the arrow-arum (Peltandra Virginica), the dragon-arum (Arisæma Dracontium), and the water-arum (Calla palustris).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. starch resembling sago that is obtained from cuckoopint root
- n. any plant of the family Araceae; have small flowers massed on a spadix surrounded by a large spathe
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I can do still better with the flower of the Serpent Arum (_Arum dracunculus_), so noteworthy both for its form and its incomparable stench.
Pacquiaos upholder Bob Arum is open to creation the match up happen as prolonged as Floyd Mayweather Jr. handles negotiation in the professional manner as good as not in the media or papers.
A species that used to suffer under the name Arum summis labris degustantes mutos reddens became instead simply Arum maculatum.
-- These showy plants, sometimes called Arum, are worth cultivating.
Greenburg called Arum on Monday to throw water on the fire before it got out of control between the two sides.
About a half-hour later, Koncz called Arum from the Philippines and told him the trip would not be necessary because Pacquiao had decided to sign.
"HBO Sports President Ross Greenburg said that Golden Boy Promotions Chief Executive Officer Richard Schaefer plans to call Arum on Monday [Tuesday in Manila] in order to start negotiations on a Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather Jr. bout that would be the richest in the sport's history," Iole said.
They make Food of another Fruit call'd Cuttanimmons, the Fruit of a kind of Arum, growing in the Marshes: They are like Boyl'd Peas, or Capers to look on, but of an insipid earthy taste.
The defensive and predictable responses to Arum and Roksa's work were quick to arrive.
Zbikowski's promoter, Bob Arum, said the boxer has great potential drawing power—and the physical tools to become a world champion.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.