American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Roman Catholic Church A mass for a deceased person.
- n. Roman Catholic Church A musical composition for such a mass.
- n. A hymn, composition, or service for the dead.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In the Roman Catholic Church, the mass for the dead.
- n. A musical setting of the mass for the dead. The usual sections of such a mass are the Requiem, the Kyrie, the Dies iræ (in several sections), the Domine Jesu Christe, the Sanctus, the Benedictus, the Agnus Dei, and the Lux æterna.
- n. Hence, in popular usage, a musical service or hymn for the dead. Compare the popular use of dirge.
- n. Rest; quiet; peace.
- n. Synonyms Dirge, Elegy, etc. See dirge.
- n. A mass (especially Catholic) to honor and remember a dead person.
- n. A musical composition for such a mass.
- n. A piece of music composed to honor a dead person.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (R.C.Ch.) A mass said or sung for the repose of a departed soul.
- n. Any grand musical composition, performed in honor of a deceased person.
- n. obsolete Rest; quiet; peace.
- n. a song or hymn of mourning composed or performed as a memorial to a dead person
- n. a Mass celebrated for the dead
- n. a musical setting for a Mass celebrating the dead
- The first word of the introit for the traditional requiem mass, an alternative accusative case of Latin requiēs ("rest, repose"), from re- ("again") + quiēs ("rest, quiet"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Latin, accusative of requiēs, rest, the first word of the mass for the dead : re-, re- + quiēs, quiet; see kweiə- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“KODAMA: I think Clint Eastwood produced this film as a-- what I called a requiem for the repose of souls of the war dead, including both the Japanese as well as U.S. soldiers who fought on the island of Iwo Jima.”
“When any of these Masses are said in black vestments they are called Requiem Masses, because the priest offers them for the rest or happy repose of the soul of some dead person or persons, and the word requiem means rest.”
“To take only two significant points: it sounds very sentimental to be told that the girl Ua, after Kaaialii had jumped into the vortex "wailed upon the winds a requiem of love and grief," but a native Hawaiian has no more notion of the word requiem than he has of a syllogism.”
“For thee the requiem is sung with deepest pathos, its plaintive music rolling up from a thousand vocal temples from countless throbbing hearts.”
“Alan Greenspan, delivered in Congress what some called a requiem for decades 'worth of economic teaching.”
“Tpoya's so called requiem's are usually not celebrated in even in purple they are in white, one is lucky if any prayers are made for the repose of the soul and instead we get a panagyeric on how good the deceased was: "never came to mass but love his garden" etc etc, all accompanied by a few modern hymns or even worse a tape of some popular song: My Way or the like.”
“In the end, "When the Levees Broke: A Requiem in Four Acts" may be more accurately called a requiem for black New Orleans, with some whites thrown in for spice.”
“You know ,I have some requiem gold,and my friend also has some requiem lant,do you kouw they have the same meaning,Both of them can be called requiem money，I just want to requiem online gold,because there are many buy priston tale Gold”
“He could only insist that the requiem should be the first occasion of the young ladies going out of the convent; but they had so many visitors there that they had not much cause for murmuring, and the French instructions of Sister Beata did not amount to much, even with Eleanor, while Jean loudly protested that she was not going to school.”
“And then we sang Tommy's favorite kind of requiem: --”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘requiem’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
various funerary productions
These words have been posted on my vocabulary tumblr, wickedcoolwords.tumblr.com!
Looking for tweets for requiem.