from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The singing of hymns.
- n. The composing or writing of hymns.
- n. The hymns of a particular period or church.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The writing, composing, or singing of hymns or psalms.
- n. The hymns of a particular church or of a particular time.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Hymns, considered collectively; hymnology.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act or art of singing hymns or sacred songs; psalmody.
- n. Hymns collectively; the body of hymns belonging to a particular period, country, sect, or author.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of singing psalms or hymns
Medieval Latin hymnōdia, from Greek humnōidiā : humnos, hymn + ōidē, song.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Old French hymnodie, from Latin hymnodia, from Ancient Greek ὑμνῳδία (humnōidia), from ὑμνῳδέω (humnōideō, "I sing a hymn"), from ὕμνος (humnos, "song of praise") + ἀείδω (aeidō, "I sing"). (Wiktionary)