from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A chant or anthem recited or sung after a reading in a church service.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A chant or anthem recited after a reading in a church service
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Containing or making answer; answering.
- n. The answer of the people to the priest in alternate speaking, in church service.
- n. A versicle sung in answer to the priest, or as a refrain.
- n. An antiphonary; a response book.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Containing answer.
- n. In liturgics: A psalm or portion of a psalm sung between the missal lections.
- n. A portion of a psalm (originally, a whole psalm) sung between the lections at the canonical hours; a respond. Also responsorium.
Middle English responsorie, from Late Latin respōnsōrium, from Latin respōnsus, past participle of respondēre, to respond; see respond.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)