from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The northerly section of a state in the United States.
- adv. To, from, or in the northerly section of a state: drove upstate on vacation; went fishing in upstate New York.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of the northern section of a state
- adv. to, or from the northern section of a state
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adv. in or toward the northern parts of a state
up + state (Wiktionary)