from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The brain of a vertebrate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The area of central nervous system that includes all higher nervous centers, enclosed within the skull and continuous with the spinal cord; the brain.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The contents of the cranium; the brain.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy, that which is contained in the cranial cavity as a whole; the brain.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. that part of the central nervous system that includes all the higher nervous centers; enclosed within the skull; continuous with the spinal cord
Greek enkephalon, from neuter of enkephalos, in the head; see encephalo-.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek ἐγκέφαλος (enkephalos, "within the head"), from ἐν (en, "in") + κεφαλή (kephalē, "head"). (Wiktionary)