from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that chokes or suffocates another.
- n. Something that fits closely around the neck or throat, as:
- n. A tight-fitting necklace.
- n. A high, tight collar.
- n. A narrow neckpiece of fur.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A piece of jewelry or ornamental fabric, worn as a necklace, tight to the throat.
- n. One who, or that which, chokes or strangles.
- n. One who operates the choke of an engine during ignition.
- n. Any disappointing or upsetting circumstance.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, chokes.
- n. A stiff wide cravat; a stock.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which chokes; that which induces a feeling of strangulation; something difficult to swallow.
- n. That which puts another to silence; that which cannot be answered.
- n. A neckcloth: as, “a white choker,”
- n. In milit. engin., a chain with wooden staves attached to the ends, employed to compress and measure the circumference of fascines.
- n. In lumbering, a noose of wire rope by which a log is dragged.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. someone who kills by strangling
- n. a high tight collar
- n. an unfortunate person who is unable to perform effectively because of nervous tension or agitation
- n. necklace that fits tightly around a woman's neck
That's why the notion of Mickelson being a choker is preposterous.
"The word choker came up," Dale Steyn said after his side had sealed that series away in Australia, "but we don't have that kind of history on us."
But what’s the primary we utter when we glom a muffin - choker?
Connected to the choker was the charm that Justin had made for her birthday.
Raich once was known as a choker but earned the nickname "Mr. Consistency" last season by finishing all 38 races he entered.
Looking down, she saw that the sword choker that before had seemed so tight now dangled to the ground, the maynus casting a soft yellow glow from under snow that was quickly covering it.
Tying the sword choker about her neck again, she resolved to ask Kadagan about it when next she saw him, when her thoughts had cleared after the shape-change.
This club over many, many years has had a steady progress despite all the things that have gone on so that is why I take exception to being labelled a choker.
KU is already being called a choker and a failure, and neither is entirely fair.
Meanwhile, Wonder Woman, whose last costume change featured long pants and a ridiculous leather jacket, wears even less clothes along with her new insignia choker, which is not only patently ludicrous but really unnecessary.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.