from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Archaic A jeweled necklace, collar, or headband.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A richly decorative collar.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A jeweled chain, necklace, or collar.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Anecklace or collar of jewels.
- n. A circlet of gold and jewels worn as an ornament for the hair.
From Old French carcan, collar, perhaps from Medieval Latin carcannum, perhaps of Germanic origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From carcan + -et. (Wiktionary)