from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several sea birds of the genera Fratercula and Lunda of northern regions, characteristically having black and white plumage and a vertically flattened, triangular bill that is brightly colored during breeding season.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An arctic sea bird Fratercula arctica) allied to the auks, and having a short, thick, swollen beak, whence the name; -- called also bottle nose, cockandy, coulterneb, marrot, mormon, pope, and sea parrot.
- n. The puffball.
- n. A sort of apple.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sea-parrot, colter-neb, or bottle-nosed auk; a bird of the family Alcidæ and genus Fratercula or Lunda. See these words.
- n. A kind of fungus; a fuzzball; a puffball.
- n. of the
- n. A name wrongly applied to the Manx shearwater, Puffinus anglorum.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of two genera of northern seabirds having short necks and brightly colored compressed bills
Middle English poffoun, puffon, perhaps from puf, puff; see puff.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)