from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Eurasian currant (Ribes nigrum) bearing black berries.
- n. A cordial made from the berries of this plant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The blackcurrant plant, Ribes nigrum; the flavor of its berries
- n. A liqueur made from these berries, especially crème de cassis.
- n. A wine flavor note, suggesting the fruity and full-bodied characteristics of the fruit.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A large genus of prosobranchiate gastropodous mollusks, known as helmet-shells, formerly placed with the Buccinidæ or whelks, or with the Doliidæ, but now made the type of a family Cassididæ. See cut under Cassididæ.
French, from Latin cassia, a kind of plant; see cassia.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French cassis (Wiktionary)