from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An ornament worn around the ankle.
- n. A sock that reaches just above the ankle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A piece of jewelry/jewellery, resembling a bracelet but worn around the ankle.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An ornament or a fetter for the ankle; an ankle ring.
- n. see anklets.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A little ankle.
- n. An ornament for the ankle, corresponding to the bracelet for the wrist or forearm.
- n. A support or brace for the leg, intended to stiffen the ankle-joint and prevent the ankle from turning to one side.
- n. An extension of the top of a boot or shoe, designed sometimes for protection to a weak ankle, sometimes merely for ornament.
- n. A fetter or shackle for the ankles.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a shoe for a child or woman that has a strap around the ankle
- n. a sock that reaches just above the ankle
- n. an ornament worn around the ankle
Sorry, no etymologies found.