from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A shoulder ornament, especially a fringed strap worn on military uniforms.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A decoration or flourish worn on the shoulders, as on a uniform.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A shoulder ornament or badge worn by military and naval officers, differences of rank being marked by some peculiar form or device, as a star, eagle, etc.; a shoulder knot.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A shoulder-piece; an ornamental badge worn on the shoulder; specifically, a strap proceeding from the collar, and terminating on the shoulder in a disk, from which depends a fringe of cord, usually in bullion, but sometimes in worsted or other material, according to the rank of the wearer, etc.
- n. The shoulder-piece in the armor of the fourteenth century, especially when small and fitting closely to the person, as compared with the large pauldron of later days.
- n. The shoulder-covering of splints forming part of the light and close-fitting armor of the sixteenth century.
- n. In dressmaking, an ornament for the shoulder, its form changing with the different fashions.
- n. In entomology, the tegula or plate covering the base of the anterior wing in hymenopterous insects.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. adornment consisting of an ornamental cloth pad worn on the shoulder
French épaulette, diminutive of épaule, shoulder, from Old French espaule, from Late Latin spatula, shoulder blade; see espalier.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)