from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An ornamentation, worn on the shoulders of a military uniform, as a sign of rank
- n. A similar piece of trimming on a lady’s dress
- n. A plate on the anterior wings of some hymenopteral insects
- n. The red patch on the shoulders of a red-winged blackbird
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. adornment consisting of an ornamental cloth pad worn on the shoulder
French épaulette, from épaule (“shoulder”) + -ette (“diminutive”). (Wiktionary)