from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A sudden burst of sunlight, as through broken clouds.
- n. A pattern or design consisting of a central disk with radiating spires projecting in the manner of sunbeams.
- n. A jeweled brooch with such a design.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A figure or shape showing rays radiating from a central point.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A burst of sunlight.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A strong outburst of sunlight; a resplendent beaming of the sun through rifted clouds; hence, in pyrotechny, an imitation of such an effect.
- n. Hence, a figure, or object, as in architectural ornamentation, jewelry, etc., resembling, or thought to resemble, the bursting forth of rays in all directions from the sun: as, a diamond sunburst.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a sudden emergence of the sun from behind clouds
- n. a jeweled brooch with a pattern resembling the sun
- n. a design consisting of a central disk resembling the sun and rays emanating from it
Sorry, no etymologies found.