from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A shape or design with emanating rays that resembles the flash of light produced by an exploding star.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A violent explosion, or the pattern (likened to the shape of a star) supposed to be made by such an explosion.
- n. A symbol similar to an asterisk, but with additional rays: ✺.
- n. A region of space with an unusually high rate of star formation.
- n. A period in time during which a region of space experiences an unusually high rate of star formation.
- v. To experience an unusually high rate of star formation.
star + burst (Wiktionary)